Quality software is reasonably bug or defect free, delivered on time and within budget, meets requirements and/or expectations, and is maintainable.
IEEE Definition of “Software Quality”
- The degree to which a system, component, or process meets specified requirements.
- The degree to which a system, component, or process meets customer or user needs or expectations.
ISO 8402-1986 standard defines quality
“the totality of features and characteristics of a product or service that bears its ability to satisfy stated or implied needs.”
Key aspects of quality for the customer include:
- Good design – looks and style
- Good functionality – it does the job well
- Reliable – acceptable level of breakdowns or failure
- Durable – lasts as long as it should
- Good after sales service
- Value for money